October 1st, 2015

October 1st, 2015. fried sanma fish with light teriyaki-esque sauce. tofu carrot salad. cabbage miso soup. large rice. 200ml hokkaido milk. The fish had some small bones in it, the appropriate way to deal with this is to crunch through em i guess. fish is also almost always served skin-on, which is quite tasty.

School lunch in Japan is called Kyushoku (給食) . Each classroom gets a cart, with trays, bowls, and 3-4 containers of food. Students, from 1st year elementary (~5 years old) to 3rd year junior high (~14 years old) put on their white cap and jacket, and dole out equal portions to their classmates. The trays are placed on the desks, remaining entirely untouched until everyone has been served, seated quietly, and said "itadakimasu". The rest of the whole system can be read about here, in more detail and better written than I care to do. it's a pretty excellent system.

I've taken a picture of most kyushoku since I arrived. I'll post a picture of my lunch every school day, and work through the backlog of others gradually over the next while. Sometimes I'll tag on a bit of extra info or a second picture.


ijou desu.

No comments:

Post a Comment